Week 44 time breakdown
Back over 40 finally with a nice distribution of different things.
Main efforts went towards:
- Finishing an initial landing page for Build With Django,
which I will almost certainly completely redo after getting some feedback.
- Getting a small Celery and Django Progress Bar library I wrote for chat stats
ready for open-sourcing and initial promotion.
- Spending some time improving and promoting the Cape Town Drought Dashboard.
I’ve continued to grapple with the elusive quest for meaning this week.
For now, the drought project feels like a good place for me to invest my time towards a (moderately) higher purpose.
I came to that conclusion after deciding that I might be in a unique position—in terms of skills, knowledge, and physical location—to
create the best resource on the drought out there. And if that’s true, then don’t I have to do that?
I imagine that every liter saved as a result of something I’m able to do is a net good thing for the people of Cape Town.
Reducing water consumption in the Western Cape isn’t as lofty as Elon’s “making us a multi-planetary species”
and “getting to fully renewable energy”, but I figure that for as long as I’ve got a solo/bootstrapper mentality
I should start small.
The drought may not be the right long-term project, but I think it’s an okay “right now” project.
Goal Report Card
Update on my January goals and progress towards them, broken down by area.
Overall status: 80% complete
- Nail down what the topic would be
- Make a landing page for it
- Ship a blog post on the topic
Like I mentioned, Build With Django is now live though likely going to change a lot.
My first “blog” is going to be the open-source release of celery-progress.
Overall status: Not started
- Come up with at least three B2B SaaS ideas
- Do a market/viability assessment of each of them
Will almost certainly fail this goal in spectacular fashion.
Overall status: Not started
- Formulate a plan to test whether Chat Stats has any revenue potential
Still hoping to do some work on chat stats but time is running out…
Place Card Me
Overall status: Done
- Look at pricing/analytics data for January and adjust prices based on it
- Start collecting data to drive the product roadmap.
Overall status: Done!
- Start figuring out what I might want to do (first) for reasons that aren’t financially driven
The renewed focus on the drought website is currently scratching this itch and I think will keep me motivated
until further inspiration strikes.
Main focus for next week:
celery-progress and Build With Django.
- Keep improving and promoting capetowndrought.com.
- Treat myself to doing some fun stuff with chat stats (repeat)
Three weeks straight of new routes up Table Mountain!
This week was Left Face Mystery B,
a very fun route right up the front of the mountain.