I was kind of all over the place this week.
I think it’s a product of two things:
- Having traffic running through placecard.me was really distracting.
Every time someone made placecards I would go see how they were using it and then compose a follow-up email.
This kept interrupting me from flow and getting me sidetracked.
- I’m in this stage where I’m looking to find my next area of focus - and I’m not quite sure what that is yet.
It’s very easy to get distracted doing this open-ended “exploration” process.
Still, it was a good week of learning, including getting a better understanding of the internet advertising landscape,
starting to figure out the logistics of registering a business (so I can actually charge people), the differences between LLC’s and C-Corps,
and taking my first foray into the world of video creation/editing/publishing.
More details below.
Goal Report Card
||Run advertising test on placecards, post in a few places
||Ship idea validation. Draft something else.
||Establish direction for next few weeks
||More serious exploration of new projects
- Done and done. Getting some good data points from advertising already.
- Finally posted my first post on idea validation. Have a bunch of haphazard writing for part 2, but it’s a mess.
- Trying to think a little longer term, it’s been a bit of a struggle.
- Have been cranking out ideas and exploring a few things a bit more strategically.
Week 8 time breakdown
I’m pretty disappointed with my output from nine hours on writing.
I just couldn’t quite figure out how to frame idea validation in a way that I felt was succinct and engaging.
I probably should have just shipped something and moved on instead of trying to split it apart and make it more interesting.
It’s also a lot of Dimagi time, though a lot of that was just catching up with colleagues and a lot of it was learning
video recording and editing software for the first time.
There was also a small amount of paid work I was doing (first dollars earned during sabbatical).
I’m 35! Or as my wife puts it, “now closer to 40 than 30”.
I celebrated by doing a moonrise hike up Lion’s head and caught some stunning views of the city.
My Pixel actually did better than I expected capturing the scene: